(this article originally appeared on Buick.com)
DETROIT — With OnStar Smart Driver, your Buick can now work with you to develop better driving skills. This recently launched opt-in service is available for most 2015-17 model year Buick vehicles as part of the OnStar Basic Plan1 at no additional cost.
OnStar Smart Driver is designed to help Buick owners maximize their vehicle’s overall performance, reduce wear and tear, monitor fuel efficiency and become better drivers – all factors that can help save owners money as well.
Once enrolled, customers have online access via OnStar.com to information about their driving behavior, including:
- OnStar Smart Driver score – calculated with driving data that can be sorted by day, week, month, year and lifetime
- Historical OnStar Smart Driver scores
- Total number of hard braking events and where they took place
- Total number of hard acceleration events and where they took place
- High-speed driving percentage
- Late-night driving percentage
- Total miles driven
- Average MPG and MPH
- Comparisons to the aggregate total of all other enrolled drivers
- Helpful tips on how to become a smarter driver
Customers may also choose to enroll in the Insurance Discounts Eligibility2 portion of the service, which is a risk-free way to see if their driving behavior qualifies them for discounts, without revealing any personal details to insurance companies.
Participating insurance companies currently include Progressive, Liberty Mutual and Nationwide, and good driving behavior can lead to potential savings of up to 30 percent on car insurance.
1 OnStar Basic Plan is available for five years from the delivery date of eligible 2015 model year and newer vehicles and is transferable. Basic Plan does not include Emergency, Security or Navigation services; these and other services require a paid plan. Visit onstar.com for details.
2 OnStar, General Motors and their affiliates are not insurance providers and are not insurance producers, and do not endorse any particular insurance provider or insurance producer. You should only obtain insurance and insurance advice from a licensed insurance provider.